Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Why I like Japan

I’ve been back in Tokyo since last Friday. I didn’t think I was jet lagged but I slept all day on Monday and was up all night on Monday night. Last night I barely slept as well. We’ll see how today goes.

At my USC admissions interview, I was asked why I like Japan. I guess I don’t really talk about it that much, but I have certainly thought of it and was ready to answer the question. What I like best is how its traditional culture, for the most part, coexists in harmony with its modern culture. Just taking a walk outside you will see signs of westernization within seconds. There are McDonald’s and Starbucks everywhere but isn’t that for the better? LOL. What I mean though is how Japanese people still spend time with their families over the New Year’s holidays, participate in tea ceremonies, visit temples, etc. They certainly do non-Japanese things, but what I like is how the traditional stuff is always available to do, and people freely choose to do them.

No good updates at the moment. UT says that I should hear back from them 4-6 weeks after my interview. The 6 weeks will end this Friday, Texas time. I should hear back from USC on April 1. It’s all a waiting game. And annoying one at that. So at the moment I am filling out financial aid forms and reading books. I bought Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man and two books by Malcolm Gladwell. Haven’t made much progress on any of them.

Finally, just a reminder that my last bartending gig is this weekend. Proceeds will be going to the Beer for Books charity. Details below. Please stop by if you’re free!

Beer for Books - Cocktails & Dreams finale
When: Sunday, March 21 at 8pm
Location: IBEX Roppongi - ARIES BLD 4F, 3-15-24, Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Map
Entertainment: Live DJ spinning hip-hop and R&B, pole dancers
Cost: FREE
Phone: 03-3746-1075

No comments:

Post a Comment